The Top 10 Most Notable Marijuana Quotes of All Time
Carl Sagan, marijuana advocate
Let's be honest, we here at the College of Cannabis are huge fans of marijuana and sometimes we like to take a break from our coursework and have some fun in this business (who would have thought, right?!). It's with this in mind that we've compiled the top ten marijuana quotes of all time ... at least in our minds anyways. Some of the quotes are funny; some are serious; and some are just plain off the wall but they all certainly make for interesting subject matter. So without further ado, here are the top 10 most notable marijuana quotes of all time!
From presidents to poets, musicians to activists, here's our list of notable marijuana quotes.
10. "Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could.” William F. Buckley Jr.
It makes perfect sense when you think about it. It is very rare to find situations where marijuana use actually hurt someone but marijuana laws, on the other hand, have caused more problems to date than most other drug laws combined. Certainly one of the best marijuana quotes of all time.
9. "I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast." Ronald Reagan
During a brief study on the affects of marijuana on brain cells, also know as the Heath Tulane study of 1974", a group of monkeys were accidentally suffocated while being fed marijuana smoke through a mask. Ronald Reagan's quote came more out of frustration over the situation than anything else. Definitely one of the best marijuana quotes ever.
8. “40 million Americans smoked marijuana; the only ones who didn’t like it were Judge Ginsberg, Clarence Thomas and Bill Clinton.” Jay Leno
Jay Leno is definitely one to say it like it is, and put a little twist on it while he's at it. There is no denying that these three individuals, alone, have played a big role in the fight against legalizing marijuana in the U.S. Certainly up there on the list of marijuana quotes of all time!
7. "I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong?” Willie Nelson
There is no one more "real" than Willie and he has a way of putting things that just makes complete sense. His frustration with the hypocrisy of outlawing a part of nature is evident in this quote. Who doesn't love this marijuana quote?
6. "I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry. It would be wonderful for the state of Maine. There's some pretty good homegrown dope. I'm sure it would be even better if you could grow it with fertilizers and have greenhouses." Stephen King
There isn't a Stephen King Novel that hasn't been a hit at one time or another but it seems that some of his quotes are just as popular. When King has something to say, he isn't afraid to say it and that is just what he is doing with this quote...being heard. Far and away one of the greatest marijuana quotes of all time.
5. “When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.” Bob Marley
There is no one more familiar with cannabis than Bob Marley and his life is a testament to that fact. If anyone is qualified to enlighten us as to the true effects of marijuana, it would be the master of marijuana quotes, Bob Marley.
4. “The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." Carl Sagan
Carl Sagan makes a valid point in this classic marijuana quote. In a world full of such anger and violence, we've attacked the one thing that can bring about peace and serenity. At least that's how Carl feels about the situation. Carl loves his weed quotes.
3. "Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?" Henry Ford
When it came to making money and managing it efficiently, Henry Ford was an expert. His argument, which is what his quote was meant to be, states a valid point. If there are ways of preserving our natural resources, which are at risk even more today than ever before, then why not make use of them? Henry Ford, of all people, has some marijuana quotes up his sleeve.
2. “Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating.” Richard Neville, marijuana quotes
Number two of our list of the most notable marijuana quotes, Richard Neville's quote has a two fold purpose. He is both stating a fact and making a point. While marijuana can be addictive (in rare instances), all good things in life usually are.
1. “I used to smoke marijuana. But I’ll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening – or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . . But never at dusk.” Steve Martin
If comedy had a name, it would be Steve Martin. While Steve was, more than likely, simply being funny with one of his many marijuana quotes, it depicts the true feelings of many a marijuana smoker and Steve Martin knew it. His quote is both funny and intentional.
Did you like our post of the most notable marijuana quotes? If so, consider checking out our courses!